[Snort-users] Multiple log files

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Fri Jan 9 21:26:14 EST 2015

On 1/9/2015 9:49 AM, test engineer wrote:
> Thanks Waldo, yes they are pcaps (to be specific).  The odd thing is I'm running
> 8 snort processes. (in a test environment)
>
> /usr/sbin/snort -A fast -U -b -d -e -D -i dag0:0 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l
> /var/log/snort
> /usr/sbin/snort -A fast -U -b -d -e -D -i dag0:2 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l
> /var/log/snort
> /usr/sbin/snort -A fast -U -b -d -e -D -i dag0:4 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l
> /var/log/snort
> etc... up to dag0:14.
>
> Based on your comment, there should be 8 log (pcap) files but there is not  The
> question I'm trying to answer is why are there
> 2 or sometimes 3 pcap files?  Also...only one of the pcap files collects data,
> the others are empty.

timing, man... timing... those numbers? they're a unix timestamp, IIRC ;)

what has probably happened is that more than one instance has created/attached
to the same pcap file at the same time...

you need to have each one using its own logging directory OR you need to figure
out how to have each one use its own ID (that you have assigned when starting
each instance) as part of the log file names it creates... not just these pcap
files but any other log files, too...

eg:
snort-01.log.1420562102
snort-02.log.1420562102