[Snort-users] active response and network tap

Steve Gantz stephen.gantz at ...16854...
Fri Jan 9 17:34:58 EST 2015

Probably not. Typically if you want active response/IPS functionality (drop packets, etc) you need an inline setup with two NICs and configuration routing all traffic to Snort using iptables. With a tap the traffic is already downstream by the time you get an alert.

Dr. Stephen D. Gantz, CISSP-ISSAP, CEH, CGEIT, CRISC, CIPP/G, C|CISO

Professor of Information Assurance

The Graduate School

University of Maryland University College

stephen.gantz at ...16854...