[Snort-users] Setting up simple LAN-sniffing for bad signatures?

Jeremy Hoel jthoel at ...11827...
Fri Jan 2 16:35:22 EST 2015

If you just want to look for bad traffic that you are specifying and not
using rules from VRT or ET, then you just want to make local.rules and have
snort read that.  It's not a database per se, but just a text file that you
create the rules in.  If it's the logging you are having problems with, you
ned to specify how you want the output to go.. to a unified2 file, syslog
or text file.

You can sniff and manage on the same interface, though it's not recommended
for production to do it that way.