[Snort-users] Startup error post-package install

Y M snort at ...15979...
Thu Feb 26 14:34:32 EST 2015

> 	ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/community-virus.rules(19) !any is not allowed: !$DNS_SERVERS.
> 	Fatal Error, Quitting..
This error is due to the fact that $DNS_SERVERS variable is defined as any, however, you have a rule in "community-virus.rules" that looks for IP addresses that are "not" in $DNS_SERVERS by using the deny operator "!"; i.e.: the rules is negating any, which is not an IP address. This is not a Snort error per se, you need to define the IP addresses that should go into $DNS_SERVERS, $HOME_NET, etc so that when the negation takes place, it negates IP addresses and not the keyword any.