[Snort-users] $eth1_ADDRESS still a valid variable in 2.9.7.0?

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at ...589...
Tue Feb 17 12:20:30 EST 2015

Unfortunately that disables everything that we test against with the ruleset.  I suggest you not do that.

On Feb 17, 2015, at 12:03 PM, Starner, Mark <mark.starner at ...5850...<mailto:mark.starner at ...5850...>> wrote:

I retract my question. I configured “—enable-sourcefire” for the first time and found the comment in parser.c that said the $IF_ADDRESS variables are not defined if Sourcefire is enabled and snort is not running as root. So I recompiled without “—enable-sourcefire” and all is well.

Maybe this will help anyone else who comes across this.

Mark

From: Starner, Mark [mailto:mark.starner at ...5850...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:33 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Snort-users] $eth1_ADDRESS still a valid variable in 2.9.7.0?

I use $eth1_ADDRESS in one of my local rules, and when snort 2.9.7.0 starts, it says:
ERROR: rules/local.rules(8) Undefined variable in the string: $eth1_ADDRESS.

I think I encountered this with a previous upgrade, but I don’t recall how I resolved it.

So
1)      Is this still valid with 2.9.7.0?
2)      If Yes, then what would cause this NOT to be defined (yes, I verified I have an eth1 and it has an IP address defined.

Thanks
Mark

Snort-users list archive: