[Snort-users] Stuck at Commencing Packet Processing

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Mon Feb 16 16:51:41 EST 2015

Hello Lena,

                What are you getting in the snort exit stats?

Are you sure that traffic is hitting the sniffing interface?
Is the interface in promiscuous mode?
Can you capture traffic off of that same interface with say tcpdump/wireshark running?

Hope this helps!

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi at ...589...

From: Lena Okanovic [mailto:lokanovic at ...17094...]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2015 2:04 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Stuck at Commencing Packet Processing

​Hello,

I am new to Snort. I just recently downloaded and installed it on Windows 2008 box. I got the WinPcap and rules installed per instructions found on the internet. I also configured the snort.conf file to use Snort as IDS. Testing results come back without any errors. However, when I execute snort.exe -i1 -s -l C:\snort\log\ -c C:\Snort\etc\snort.conf I get no log created and the cmd prompt is stuck at Commencing Packet Processing

[cid:image001.png at ...17095...]

I also chose Interface 1 because of my configuration. 1 and 2 have no IP and 3 is my management interface with IP settings assigned.

[cid:image002.png at ...17095...]

What am I doing wrong? Oh, also, in the config file I left 'any' for the HOME_NET address.

Thank you!