[Snort-users] Difference between drop and reject rules

Russ rucombs at ...589...
Thu Feb 12 10:47:14 EST 2015

On 2/12/15 9:35 AM, Mark Greenman wrote:
> Can I ask one more question? What is the difference between these two
> types of configurations. As I get it, the configuration that you
> suggested must not be used with inline mode while what I attempt to
> achieve is an inline snort. Does it make any problems for inline
> operations and functions if I deactivate Active Response?
The basic difference is that w/o the stream support, drop rules just
block, but with it, they operate like reject rules.  Also,
all types of active responses can be used with inline or passive
interfaces and there is no requirement that active response be used when
inline (although active responses are generally more effective when
inline).