[Snort-users] 2.9.7.0 Install startup error: snort:symbol lookup error "rand_open"

Richard Martin slopinglight at ...11827...
Sun Feb 8 16:37:22 EST 2015

This is my first post, so thanks to all in advance for any replies.  I was
running 2.9.6.2 from an rpm for Centos6.  Note this installation is running
fine.  I created a "dev"  environment yesterday by copying the existing
setup, to another drive and yesterday, I upgraded that by running an rpm
for 2.9.7.0.  The test .conf file runs without error from this.

/etc/snort -A console - T -i eth1 -s -u snort -g snort -c snort.conf

however, when I remove the -T, I get this:

pcap DAQ configured to passive
Acquiring network traffic from ethic
Reload thread starting...
Reload thread started, thread 0x7f03ec4c5700
Decoding ethernet
snort:  symbol lookup error: snort:undefined symbol:rand_open

Any thoughts or suggestions for where to look are most appreciated.