[Snort-users] snort NIDS

rezaa abedi nndreza at ...131...
Fri Feb 6 19:29:59 EST 2015

Hi all,

I installed snort in my ubuntu machine and I need to edit Snort’s main configuration file, /etc/snort/snort.conf. When I run Snort with
this file as an argument, it tells Snort to run in NIDS mode.
Before I run Snort in NIDS mode, I need to make a few edits to the default configuration file. I need to
comment out all of the individual rule files that are referenced in the Snort configuration file, since instead
of downloading each file individually, I will use PulledPork to manage our rulesets, which combines all the
rules into a single file. The following line supposed to comment out all rulesets in our snort.conf file but it does not work?

sudo sed -i ’s/include \$RULE\_PATH/#include \$RULE\_PATH/’ /etc/snort/snort.conf

any ideas please ? This is the error I get every time when I run  the above command:
$~/snort_src/snort-2.9.7.0$ sudo sed -i ’s/include \$RULE\_PATH/#include \$RULE\_PATH/’ /etc/snort/snort.conf
sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `�'
Many thanks in advence,