[Snort-users] Disabling Rules via disablesid.conf

Y M snort at ...15979...
Fri Feb 6 02:16:14 EST 2015

Comments inline.

From: steven.vona at ...7622...
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 20:47:40 +0000
Subject: [Snort-users] Disabling Rules via disablesid.conf

I have Snort running on a few sensors around our network.  We have subscriptions for the rules and we use pulledpork to download the rules daily.

I am not attempting to turn the rules a little bit to disable some items that we do not need to see.  I put these in disablesid.conf file and when I run pulled pork I see:

Processing /etc/snort/disablesid.conf....
	Disabled 3:21355
	Disabled 3:19187
	Modified 2 rules
	Done

So it looks like it is disabling the rule, however I am still receiving alerts for the rule in my database.

Any ideas? ## Some ideas to troubleshoot: 1) verify that the same sids are not included in the enablesid.conf (lame but why not). 2) Has the order in which PulledPork processes rules been changed?. 3) if you grep for the sids from the snort.rules (given you reconcile rules vi PulledPork), do they exist? 4) Are these two rules included in another .rules file (local.rules or so)?
Additional info:

  o"  )~   Version 2.9.6.2 GRE (Build 77)
   ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team: http://www.snort.org/snort/snort-team
           Copyright (C) 2014 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
           Copyright (C) 1998-2013 Sourcefire, Inc., et al.
           Using libpcap version 1.3.0
           Using PCRE version: 7.8 2008-09-05
           Using ZLIB version: 1.2.3

Snort-users list archive: