[Snort-users] Snort production setup design

Davison, Charles Robert cdaviso1 at ...17214...
Fri Dec 18 02:28:42 EST 2015

Sandeep,

Sorry I did not clarify… when I was referring to VPC I was referencing the AWS VPC (Virtual Private Cloud), and if you apply the router that I was talking about before it sits on the edge of your VPC. If you don’t want to end up using Snort as a HIDS essentially the best thing to do is to buy that router and tap your traffic, inbound/outbound, of your VPC to your desired Snort device. The router to my knowledge supports HSRP so you could build redundancy between the two devices and set up your tap on each router to send the traffic to another VPC or a local Datacenter or anywhere you want. Your SIEM could then read the alerts from whatever locations you set up. And since you have routing redundancy with HSRP if one routing link fails the data would get sent to the other snort instance. Even though you might have separate data centers to help make this redundant you would only have one SIEM reading the same log data so it would put both alerting results into context. There are many ways to perform what you’re talking about but I made a simple diagram below that explains what we are talking about (also attached). Please forgive my lack of artistry/visio :D

[cid:image002.jpg at ...17409...]
If you do have a SIEM you essentially get a copy of your snort logs sent via syslog, there is an option in the snort.conf to add a syslog server, and if this was at a local data center then you would not have to worry about storage space in AWS. And since the cisco virtual routers support enterprise VPNs you could tie them into your network. If you wanted to do HIDS as well this would be fine… you would want to install OSSEC or Samhain on your computer in the AWS VPC, the traffic could then get passed along the same way to your SIEM for interpretation of host activity. Almost everything in the above example could be done via open source except the routing part, which even if you did find an open source router I would recommend going with the Cisco one due to all the feature available to help our with redundancy. Keep in mind that this whole design would rest on the routers not being able to scale elastically. So as long as you are running a small web service you should be fine, but this would be your bottle neck, and you would have to manually add more routers over time to service requests. To my knowledge there is still not official elastic tap capability in AWS for the edge routing piece if there was that would be awesome. Hopefully this answered your questions. If not let me know what I am missing so I can better understand what you’re asking for.

From: sandeep dubey [mailto:sandeep.sanash at ...11827...]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:37 PM
To: Davison, Charles Robert <cdaviso1 at ...17214...>
Cc: Steven Dracker <steven at ...17402...>; Rodgers, Anthony (DTMB) <RodgersA1 at ...17120...>; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort production setup design

Thanks Charles and all for your opinions and suggestion.

The server i am running is not in VPC mode, it is in Classic mode, this server is very busy and critical where i don't want to install packages like OpenVPN etc., however i can create a new server for this purpose if it works. I want to install minimal package like snort only  which will run in IDS mode and it's log should go to some server where i should be able to analyse those logs and send alerts. I want to avoid space issue on server or i will have to attache EBS volume to store logs locally.

Performance is a big concern in this case because the servers i am running doesn't support load balance nor HA. It is dedicated 3 servers serving RPC calls. If any of the server goes down service gets impacted.

I am looking for only Opensource solutions.

Is it possible to install Snort on these server in NIDS mode and ship the logs to another server like mentioned here - http://sublimerobots.com/2015/12/snort-2-9-8-x-on-ubuntu-part-4/.
In above like it assumes all on single server, where i want snort on my production servers but logs and other tools mentioned should be on another dedicated server.

Please bear with me for basic beginner questions and doubt, I am very new to this (security) field.

Let me know your suggestion, opinions and guidelines.