[Snort-users] Snort production setup design

sandeep dubey sandeep.sanash at ...11827...
Thu Dec 17 23:37:13 EST 2015

Thanks Charles and all for your opinions and suggestion.

The server i am running is not in VPC mode, it is in Classic mode, this
server is very busy and critical where i don't want to install packages
like OpenVPN etc., however i can create a new server for this purpose if it
works. I want to install minimal package like snort only  which will run in
IDS mode and it's log should go to some server where i should be able to
analyse those logs and send alerts. I want to avoid space issue on server
or i will have to attache EBS volume to store logs locally.

Performance is a big concern in this case because the servers i am running
doesn't support load balance nor HA. It is dedicated 3 servers serving RPC
calls. If any of the server goes down service gets impacted.

I am looking for only Opensource solutions.

Is it possible to install Snort on these server in NIDS mode and ship the
logs to another server like mentioned here -
*http://sublimerobots.com/2015/12/snort-2-9-8-x-on-ubuntu-part-4/
<http://sublimerobots.com/2015/12/snort-2-9-8-x-on-ubuntu-part-4/>*.
In above like it assumes all on single server, where i want snort on my
production servers but logs and other tools mentioned should be on another
dedicated server.

Please bear with me for basic beginner questions and doubt, I am very new
to this (security) field.

Let me know your suggestion, opinions and guidelines.

--
Regards,
Sandeep