[Snort-users] Snort production setup design

Steven Dracker steven at ...17402...
Thu Dec 17 12:43:17 EST 2015

How would you make this setup HA? Looking to avoid the single point of failure.

Thanks,
Steven

From: Stephen Gantz [mailto:stephen.gantz at ...16854...]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:35 PM
To: Steven Dracker <steven at ...17402...>
Cc: sandeep dubey <sandeep.sanash at ...11827...>; Rodgers, Anthony (DTMB) <RodgersA1 at ...17120...>; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort production setup design

You should be able to implement Snort as an inline IDS in your VPC by adding a Linux instance with two network interfaces. Install Snort on that and configure your routing tables and AWS security groups to direct all traffic to one interface on the Snort instance, and all downstream devices to receive traffic from the other interface. You can set up IP tables to handle the inbound and outbound flow through Snort just as you would on a physical dual-interface box.

Dr. Stephen D. Gantz
CISSP-ISSAP, CEH, CGEIT, CRISC, CIPP/G, C|CISO
Professor of Information Assurance
The Graduate School
University of Maryland University College
stephen.gantz at ...16854...<mailto:stephen.gantz at ...16854...>