[Snort-users] ADODB version and BASE

Noah Dietrich noah_dietrich at ...17393...
Tue Dec 8 06:45:57 EST 2015

When I wrote that guide, ADODB 5.19 had just been released, and I was not
able to get it working with BASE. I can't remember what the issue was, and
my integration notes don't say, but I do  remember that I could not get it
working at all.  5.18 worked great, but as soon as you replaced it with
5.19, BASE would not work at all.

This is why my guide recommended sticking with ADODB 5.18.  If a newer
version of ADODB works for you, then that shouldn't be an issue, I just had
issues getting it working.

I'll be releasing a new guide soon for Snort (both on my blog and
submitting a copy to the Snort team for inclusion in the documents section
of the Snort.org website) which replaces BASE with Snorby (working on
Ubuntu 12, 14, and 15).  Base hasn't been updated since 2013, and while the
latest Release of Snorby (version 2.6.2) is also from 2013, there seems to
be some activity for Snorby that it will continue to be updated.

There doesn't seem to be a good stand-alone GUI for Snort (one that has an
active development community and a reliable tool), which is a bit
frustrating.  I'm looking at moving unified2 data into Splunk, but i prefer
to keep my guide referencing open-source software.

Noah