[Snort-users] Free VS Paid Snort rules and version expiration

wkitty42 at ...14940... wkitty42 at ...14940...
Wed Dec 2 10:21:04 EST 2015

On 12/02/2015 09:53 AM, chuckpc at ...131... wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I really could use some help here on paid vs free Snort.
> Problem:   Every three months or so using free Snort the version expires and
> rules no longer can be downloaded for that version which
> forces us to upgrade snort across the board every three months.

it isn't every three months... there's no set time limit... for example, 2.9.6.2
is still supported and it has been available since July of 2014... call 2.9.6.2
an ""LTS"" version if you will...

> Question:  Does the Paid rules subscription remove this problem or do the rules
> expire with the versions every three months also?

you might look here but i don't know if it is restricted to subscribers or if it
applies to all...  https://www.snort.org/eol

otherwise i'm pretty sure that joel will be along shortly and clarify this for
you and the rest of us ;)