[Snort-users] Snort in IDS mode

Russ rucombs at ...589...
Mon Aug 17 08:24:50 EDT 2015

On 8/16/15 8:26 PM, aman mangal wrote:
> Thank you so much Russ. I just didn't see an example and could not
> make that out.
Sure; we will add that example to the usage section.

> I was also wondering if there is a way to test that the rules do work.
> Is there a way I can test my setup by creating an abnormal network
> behaviour and see snort reporting the abnormality?
This is a very broad question so I'll give a broad answer.  You can
follow up with specifics if needed and I'm sure someone on the list can
help you out.

If you want to test rules, it is easier to do with a pcap.  You can use
the dump DAQ to run inline if needed.

If you want to test your inline network setup between endpoints through
Snort, you could replay the same pcaps from above.

You could also start with simple test rules that alert on the presence
of traffic.  For example, you can alert on icmp and then run a ping
through your sensor.  Or alert on tcp and run an http query through your
sensor.