[Snort-users] Latest snort ignoring pid-path

Terry John Terry.John at ...16850...
Wed Aug 12 07:34:36 EDT 2015

I've just upgraded to the latest Version 2.9.7.5 GRE (Build 262) built from the .tar.gz file on Centos 6.6

My init script for snort is not happy and that's because the pid and lck files have moved in this version. Looking at the snort -help there seems to be no -pidfile switch any more but there is a pid-path option.

The problem is that snort seems to ignore the pid-path directive and put the pid file in the same directory as the log files.

Here is my run command
/usr/local/bin/snort -b -d -D -i eth0 -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l /var/log/snort --pid-path /var/run

# ls /var/run/snort*
ls: cannot access /var/run/snort*: No such file or directory

# ls /var/log/snort/snort_eth0*
/var/log/snort/snort_eth0.pid  /var/log/snort/snort_eth0.pid.lck

Any ideas how to get snort to put the pid files when I want? I can hack my init script as a workaround for now.

Thanks

Terry

The Manheim group of companies within the UK comprises: Manheim Europe Limited (registered number: 03183918), Manheim Auctions Limited (registered number: 00448761), Manheim Retail Services Limited (registered number: 02838588), Motors.co.uk Limited (registered number: 05975777), Real Time Communications Limited (registered number: 04277845) and Complete Automotive Solutions Limited (registered number: 05302535). Each of these companies is registered in England and Wales with the registered office address of Central House, Leeds Road, Rothwell, Leeds LS26 0JE. The Manheim group of companies operates under various brand/trading names including Manheim Inspection Services, Manheim Auctions, Manheim Direct, Manheim De-fleet and Manheim Aftersales Solutions.

V:0CF72C13B2AC