[Snort-users] ipcop

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Thu Apr 23 13:17:23 EDT 2015

On 4/21/2015 10:35 PM, Justin Dodd wrote:
> Hi Sree,
> This is what I get when trying to install via the snort web commands for the
> daq2.0.4:
[...]
> See `config.log' for more details
> You really should read the documentation available on www.ipcop.org!
>
> To compile, first read the Building How-to:
> http://www.ipcop.org/docs/buildinghowto.html

seems to me the error tells you what you need to do... that being to read the
docs at the ipcop web site ;)

frankly, i'm surprised that they include a build environment in their dist...
they are based on smoothwall which explicitly does not allow such... instead
smoothwall provides a development installation for being able to build and
compile programs for use on the firewall... the development install is not meant
for production use... the reason why is security... /if/ someone gets into your
firewall and there's a build environment available, the world is their oyster
and anything is possible... then again, if they get into your firewall, you've
also got other more severe problems to deal with ;)