[Snort-users] Snort 2.9.7.2 and barnyard2 1.13 on RHEL via RPM

Tawanda Purazi Tawanda at ...17129...
Wed Apr 15 02:22:11 EDT 2015

Dear Tomas,

I had the same problem and it was resolved by setting “BINARY_LOG=0” in /etc/sysconfig/snort and restarted snort.

See this article:

https://cyberoperations.wordpress.com/class-archives/2013-class/09-mysql-5-1-barnyard/

especially the section…..

If you include the switch -A full, snort appears to change the file name it uses for its output. The -A switch determines the alert mode, and can be set to full, fast, or none Interestingly, I found that no matter which of those choices you make, the name of the output file changes to snort.log. We can handle this problem by commenting out line 69 in /etc/sysconfig/snort so that portion of the file reads

# How should Snort alert? Valid alert modes include fast, full, none, and

# unsock.  Fast writes alerts to the default "alert" file in a single-line,

# syslog style alert message.  Full writes the alert to the "alert" file

# with the full decoded header as well as the alert message.  None tu#rns off

# alerting. Unsock is an experimental mode that sends the alert information

# out over a UNIX socket to another process that attaches to that socket.

# -A {alert-mode}

# output alert_{type}: {options}

#ALERTMODE=full

This almost solves the problem. We also cannot use the -b switch to specify tcpdump format for the logs. Modify line 81 of /etc/sysconfig/snort so that portion becomes

# Should Snort keep binary (AKA pcap, AKA tcpdump) logs also? This is

# recommended as it provides very useful information for investigations.

# -b

# output log_tcpdump: {log name}

BINARY_LOG=0

If you make these changes to /etc/sysconfig/snort then restart it, it will now correctly send its results to the files /var/log/snort/snort.u2

Good lucky,

Tawanda