[Snort-users] Snort Install

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at ...589...
Thu Apr 2 12:04:56 EDT 2015

Is doesn't look like you have netmap installed correctly/fully. The DAQ wont be able to build against netmap until that is in place. Check dmesg for info regarding netmap to see if it attaches to your NIC's correctly "dmesg | grep netmap".

You should see something like:

root at ...17134...:/home/alewis/Downloads/daq-2.0.4 # dmesg | grep netmap
netmap: loaded module
001.000007 [2705] netmap_attach             success for em0 tx 1/256 rx 1/256 queues/slots
001.000009 [2705] netmap_attach             success for em1 tx 1/256 rx 1/256 queues/slots
root at ...17134...:/home/alewis/Downloads/daq-2.0.4 #

As for libdumbnet you are missing the development headers. I think you need to run "yum install libdumbnet-devel" or "libdumbnet-dev" under CentOS to get those from the repos. See if you can find them with "yum list | grep dumbnet".

Try installing libdumbnet first then go back and try netmap again.

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (office) 443.430.7112
Email: allewi at ...589...

From: Leon Vergottini [mailto:leonv at ...17132...]
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 9:13 AM
To: Al Lewis (allewi); snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort Install

Hi

Thank you for the response.  I have made some progress by ticking off:  'Build IPQ DAQ module....... : no.'  It configured after I have installed the iptables-devel package on my Centos install.

I have followed your suggestion and tried to install it from the source code.  The installation was successful, without any premature exists or error messages.  However, I am still struggling with netmap. Below is the output:

checking net/netmap_user.h usability... no
checking net/netmap_user.h presence... no

checking dumbnet.h usability... no
checking dumbnet.h presence... no

Build netmap DAQ module...... : no

I have done find / -name to try and locate the files, without any success.

Am I missing something stupid here?  If so, please feel free to shout at me.

Kind Regards
Leon