[Snort-users] basic understanding questions

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at ...589...
Tue Sep 16 08:02:51 EDT 2014

This sounds like a homework assignment.  Is this an assignment from a University?

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager

On Sep 16, 2014, at 4:08 AM, amir levinzon <amir.h.univ at ...11827...<mailto:amir.h.univ at ...11827...>> wrote:

[https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif]
Hey all ,
I'm  trying to program a small sniffer that will be using the structure of snort rules.
I want it to be very small so I need rally compact code(I will use C probably ).
So i wanted to know two things
.
A. is there a place the specific which of the snort rules are the most usefull, meaning what are the most pupullar "packets" that will be detect for the avrege web user? for the begining somthing about 20 rules will be enouge
 .
B. I need to parse the rules into a data structure .I search in forums but i  havn't found what is the actual structure that snort use and how the packet is being parse so it "feets" the strcuture of the rule....can somone recommend on data structure ? about parser?

Best regards,
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Amir
Snort-users list archive: