[Snort-users] Snort with AFPacket

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Mon Nov 3 21:26:01 EST 2014

On 11/3/2014 8:56 PM, James Lay wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 20:44 -0500, Sec Aficionado wrote:
>> Great, thank you for the explanation. NFQ was indeed my next step
>> after trying AFPacket. AFPacket was easier to build, but I did not
>> realize it might have serious side effects.
>>

>>  From the high level description of NFQ, it still works with iptables,
>> but in a more efficient manner?
>>

> It's.....interesting.  You have to be careful with where you place your
> iptables QUEUE rule for Snort to use.  Because any rules placed AFTER
> the QUEUE rule are not looked at....as soon as the packet hits the QUEUE
> rule snort will either drop it as an IPS hit, or will pass it up the
> stack.  So make sure you nmap the box once you put it in place...don't
> want any open surprises ;)

that's going to be fun to do... i'm extremely familiar with the setup that the
OP is working with... the entire configuration is built by iptables and getting
the queues in place is going to be early in the process /IF/ i'm looking at
things properly... that also puts snort towards the end of all the flow instead
of at the head of it unless i'm missing what you mean by "pass [the packet] up
the stack"...