[Snort-users] How to threshold ALL sigs

Turnbough, Bradley E. bturnbough at ...15650...
Wed May 28 14:49:24 EDT 2014

Hi All,

Is there a way to threshold ALL sig alerts, but doing so based upon source IP and dest ip (session aware)?

Before thresholding:

sourceipA ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #1 10:29:15
sourceipA ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #2 10:29:26
sourceipA ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #3 10:29:39
sourceipB ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #4 10:29:42
sourceipB ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #5 10:29:55
sourceipB ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #6 10:30:12

After thresholding:

sourceipA ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #1 10:29:15
sourceipA ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #2 10:29:26 ------ not logged (thresholded)
sourceipA ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #3 10:29:39 ------ not logged (thresholded)
sourceipB ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #4 10:29:42
sourceipB ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #5 10:29:55 ------ not logged (thresholded)
sourceipB ------> destipA  ---- Alert A #6 10:30:12------ not logged (thresholded)

I want to basically write one rule / threshold for this.  I don't want to maintain a huge library of thresholds.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brad
_____________________________________________________________ This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.