[Snort-users] Tagging

Turnbough, Bradley E. bturnbough at ...15650...
Wed May 21 09:25:41 EDT 2014

Hi Matheus,

I've asked almost this exact question before and didn't really receive a decent response.

I have a sensor sitting in between my proxy and my internet connection.  The IDS alerts on various things, but it only provides the data that trips the alert.  It doesn't provide the preceeding 'x' number of packets that contain the metadata.  Makes it very difficult to troubleshoot if you can't determine the 'x-forwarded-for'.

________________________________
From: Matheus Condi'ez [conma293 at ...11827...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:07 PM
To: Snortusers
Subject: [Snort-users] Tagging

Hey guys,

Im beginning to muddle around with tagging, can seemingly get the rules to fire off quite easily and tag 'full' packets for x amount of time, bytes etc ...

But then this gets lumped into the U2 files and processed by Barnyard2 --> what im wondering is how the packets in addition to the alerting packet get processed by BY2 output so that it would come up as the whole payload in a snorby or tripwire interface...

any takers?
_____________________________________________________________ This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.