[Snort-users] Request help resolving Snort error on Windows

Stephen Gantz stephen.gantz at ...16854...
Sun May 18 14:59:59 EDT 2014

After installing and configuring Snort 2.9.5.x and 2.9.6.x on Windows 7
machines, starting Snort produces the error:

Error: c:\Snort\etc\snort.conf(0) Failed to parse the IP address
144.241.2.0/182.251.47.0.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I have reinstalled several times, and the IP address in the error message
varies but the error remains. The IP addresses appear to be randomly
generated and bear no relation to anything in snort.conf, on my system, or
in the rules files. I saw one prior post (from February 2013) in the
archives with this same error, but no response with a resolution or
recommended corrective actions.

This occurs only on Windows platforms, and I have only encountered the
error since Snort 2.9.5.x. I have been using Snort on Windows for many
years without seeing anything like this, but I am stuck on what to do to
fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.