[Snort-users] Default rule set

Y M snort at ...15979...
Sat May 17 06:43:58 EDT 2014

> ummm... does this "security", "balanced", "connectivity" stuff pertain to the ET
> (EmergingThreats) rules sets?? ;)
I don't think ET ruleset has these policies. In the VRT ruleset, these are represented through the "metadata" tag with options of "policy connectivity-ips", "policy balanced-ips", "policy security-ips", and the most recent one "ruleset community". PulledPork use these along with the "-I <policy>" to determine what rules to enable.
During early tests, running PulledPork against both VRT and ET with a policy specified, did not enable any ET rule. Two options to overcome this:1. Add ET sids/categories into enablesid.conf, and PulledPork will enable them regardless of policy specified, or (better)2. Since PulledPork now processes modifysid.conf first (before enablesid.conf), add pcre to modify ET rules to include the desired policy and PulledPork should pick it up from there. I will need to re-test this one though.
YM