[Snort-users] Error: Can't set DAQ BPF filter to 'start'

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Wed May 14 14:09:08 EDT 2014

On 5/14/2014 11:41 AM, Steve Crow wrote:
> Hi, I had snort working, after installing Wireshark and doing some testing I
> rebooted. Now I get an error when trying to run snort. This is on Fedora 20.
>
> Testing with:
> cd /usr/sbin
> ./snort -T -I p1p1 -u snort -g snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
> Snort successfully validated the config
>
> Then:
> snort start

this command is your problem... you are executing the snort binary instead of
your snort startup script... it is best to rename your snort startup script to
something other than just "snort" *OR* you should rename your snort binary and
adjust your script to point to the new binary name...