[Snort-users] Snort searching algorithm

Venkataramesh Bontupalli bontupalliv1 at ...16841...
Tue May 13 16:33:02 EDT 2014

Thank you Y M,

I am trying to analyse the strength of SNORT searching algorithm so after
my initial study and replies from SNORT experts, I think

please correct me if I am wrong

SNORT architecture is primarily divided into 5 modules
1. *Sniffer *--- Captures the network packets from NIC card
2. *Decoder *--- Extracts the essential contents of the packets like IP
address,protocols, payload details etc
3. *Preprocessor *---  Does the decryption and defragmentation of packets
into a whole packet and also does initial rule matching (this is reason why
we still see some alerts even though we comment all rules in snort.conf)
4. *Detection Engine* -- Compares the pre-processed packet details against
user defined snort rules using boyer-moore's or aho corasick search
algorithm
5. Alert modules --- Alerts the match results

I wrote a simple snort rule so it fires if facebook is opened by matching
the content to incoming packets

*alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET any (content:"www.facebook.com
<http://www.facebook.com>"; msg:"facebook opened"; sid:2000004;)  *

I ran wireshark and snort to the same situation and couldn't find the
content "facebook" in wireshark display. Snort somehow combines the packets
, decrypts and then ran the rule against it to generate the alert.

so is there any possibility to see that pre-processed output ?

sorry for the big email

Thanks and Regards,
VenkataRamesh