[Snort-users] Fwd: snort content matching rules

Jim Reprogle jim.reprogle at ...11827...
Thu May 8 15:24:16 EDT 2014

Thank you for your reply. You are correct. I'm just trying to test my
installation and determine whether or not content matching rules are
working. This is a relatively low traffic machine, and I just want to see
if I can get reverse DNS (PTR) lookups to trigger an alert in snort. I've
currently got a local rule that looks like this (taking your advice and
looking for DNS query type 0x000c.)

alert udp any any <> any 53 (msg:"DNS PTR Query"; content:"|00 0C|";
rawbytes; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

It's not working for me. I just don't get a good feeling that my
installation is working without knowing that the content matching rules
work, too. May I ask you for another suggestion I might try? Again, I am
very grateful for the feedback and the help.