[Snort-users] URI content not being identified

Y M snort at ...15979...
Thu May 8 12:06:24 EDT 2014

> Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 17:44:34 +0200
> From: masterjel5000 at ...125...
> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Snort-users] URI content not being identified
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have the following Snort rule:
>
> alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg: "HTTP content test";
> content: "test.php"; classtype:web-application-attack; sid:5000001; rev:1;)
>
> Now when I visit mysite.com/test.php an alert is correctly generated.
> However, as soon as I change "content" to "uricontent", or add
> "http_uri;" before the "classtype", no alert is generated. I analyzed
> the traffic using tshark and I can see requests to "test.php" coming
> through. Do you know any step I could take that may help to identify
> what is causing this?
Changing the "content:" to "uricontent" or "http_uri" should not work.  The "content" keyword allows you to search for a string pattern, in your case "/test.php". Content modifiers on the other hand apply to your content. So to have your rule corrected try something like:
content:"/test.php"; http_uri;
I would also add flow direction in the rule: flow:to_server, established for example, depending on the direction of the traffic (3-way handshake).