[Snort-users] Error 500 during update of rule-set using pulled-pork

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Sat May 3 13:29:53 EDT 2014

For testing PP only; As long as you specify the version of rules to pull in the pulledpork.conf  ( snort_version=x.x.x.x )  the version of snort you are running is not relevant, or shouldn’t be. PP should complete successfully.

I complained about this MONTHS / YEARS ago; For thirty days after a new version of Snort is released there is confusion about the rule set / configuration files compatibility for new users. Registered users can’t get access to the newly named rule set that matches the latest Snort version.

As a Registered user, you have just downloaded Snort 2.9.6.1, and the only rule set available is 2.9.6.0. However, you see that the subscribers have a Snort 2.9.6.1 rule set. It’s confusing if the only rule set available to registered users is 2.9.6.0, when they only have access to Snort 2.9.6.1. It’s not just the rule set, what about the new configuration files that are embedded into the new 2.9.6.1 rule set.  By installing Snort 2.9.6.1 and using the old Snort 2.9.6.0 configuration files from the 2.9.6.0 rule set, are you using outdated configuration files?

All Sourcefire needs to do at the release of a new Snort version is:

Clone the current registered users 2.9.6.0 rule set

Add all the configuration files from 2.9.6.1 subscribers rule set to the cloned 2.9.6.0 registered users rule set.

Rename the cloned 2.9.6.0 rule set to 2.9.6.1, and post it in the registered users area.

Registered users are not getting access to any new Subscribers rules, but all the confusion is gone.

Best regards,

Michael...

WINSNORT.com Management…

--

*          Visit Us @  <http://www.winsnort.com/> http://www.winsnort.com           *

*      ~~ FREE WinIDS Snort installation guides ~~      *

*               ~~ FREE support forums ~~               *

* Snort: Open Source Network IDS -  <http://www.snort.org/> http://www.snort.org *