[Snort-users] Snort freezing

conma293 conma293 at ...11827...
Tue Jun 24 16:01:53 EDT 2014

Hey guys still having the issue of snort freezing up after 4-12 days of operations, I think it is somehow due to stream5 preprocessor as how many days it operates seems to vary.

Thresholding all s5 (Sid=0) it runs for maybe 14 days.

When I target the nuisance sids to threshold I've noticed it runs for maybe only 8 days.

When I threshold nothing it runs for less.

This is driving me crazy - I'm running snort as vm on Ubuntu 12.04 lts on top of fedora 16 which contains the db and used to run snort native.

I'm thinking of rebuilding snort on fedora 20 and possible rebuilding the whole host to redhat, does anyone have any comment on that? Fedora v Ubuntu?? Problems with s5? Problems with Ubuntu?

Last question - it would seem maye prudent to wait till snort 2970 is out instead of snort 2961 from 2960 .. Any estimate of release date for stable release??