[Snort-users] Question about Sguil

Matt Martin MMartin at ...16693...
Fri Jun 20 16:33:48 EDT 2014

Y M, thanks for the reply...

Ok, that's the explanation I was looking for. I was a bit confused before about that, but I think I got it now...

Basically like this:
            Sensor ---> Goes with the Database
            Server ---> Goes with Snort
            Client ---> Can go anywhere, i.e. my laptop and the like?

Does that sound right?

Thanks again for the explanation!

Thanks,
Matt

From: Y M [mailto:snort at ...15979...]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 1:20 PM
To: Matt Martin
Cc: snort-users
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Question about Sguil

If your database is on the same box as Snort, then you would have to run both, the Sguil Sensor and Server on the same box as Snort. If your database is on a different server, then Sguil sensor would run on the same box as Snort while the Server runs on the database Server.

Sguil Client as it is sometimes referred to as the "analyst console" where you get to view your alerts. This can be run on the analyst machine. In fact it can be run on either Linux or Windows. The client would connect to the database/Server to authenticate and view the alert data.

A third option for the web GUI side is the Squert Project at: http://www.squertproject.org/. I have been leaning towards using it in the future. Unfortunately, the demo site is currently offline but you get  an idea by viewing the screenshots.

YM