[Snort-users] Question about Sguil

Matt Martin MMartin at ...16693...
Fri Jun 20 13:27:15 EDT 2014

Hey Doug, thanks for the reply!

Is security Onion required for Sguil, or just recommended? Because I have Snort already installed on a Dell Poweredge Server (*2950 I think is the model...), with 6 HDDs in a RAID5 Array and 8 Intel Xeon cores, . This server was previously used for other purposes, but since most of our Servers have gone virtual we had a few servers lying around for me to choose from to install Snort on.

From what I read Security Onion it is a OS/Linux Distro in it of itself, based on RedHat. And it comes with Snort, Barnyard2, etc already pre-installed... Is that correct?

While I was writing this I was speaking with my manager and we ARE going to give it a try. We are going to use one of old email servers (*Dell something...) and we're going to install Security  Onion and give it a go... Sounds promising!

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Thanks Again,
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Burks [mailto:doug.burks at ...11827...]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:36 PM
To: Matt Martin
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Question about Sguil

Hi Matt,

I'd recommend that you download Security Onion and install it in a VM to get a feel for the Sguil architecture.  In just a few minutes you'll have the Sguil client, server, and sensor up and running, along with barnyard2, mysql, pulledpork, and lots of other goodies.

http://securityonion.net

--
Doug Burks