[Snort-users] Question about Sguil

Y M snort at ...15979...
Fri Jun 20 13:19:34 EDT 2014

If your database is on the same box as Snort, then you would have to run both, the Sguil Sensor and Server on the same box as Snort. If your database is on a different server, then Sguil sensor would run on the same box as Snort while the Server runs on the database Server.
Sguil Client as it is sometimes referred to as the "analyst console" where you get to view your alerts. This can be run on the analyst machine. In fact it can be run on either Linux or Windows. The client would connect to the database/Server to authenticate and view the alert data.
A third option for the web GUI side is the Squert Project at: http://www.squertproject.org/. I have been leaning towards using it in the future. Unfortunately, the demo site is currently offline but you get  an idea by viewing the screenshots.
YM

From: MMartin at ...16693...
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 16:21:11 +0000
Subject: [Snort-users] Question about Sguil

Hello All,

I am currently using BASE as my frontend for Snort. But I get errors when clicking into lots of stuff on the GUI, so I’m looking into other GUI frontends for Snort. Not to mention mostly every
 time I click on an “Alert”, when the page loads in the browser it just says in red that “Alert Deleted”… Don’t know why would it be deleting alerts…

But anyway, I came across Sguil which seems to be a pretty popular choice amongst GUI frontends for Snort. But I am a bit confused by the installation process, so I was hoping someone could explain
 this question below for me…?

I downloaded the most recent version of Sguil
(*Sguil Version 0.9.0). And reading about the installation process on a number of different sites I am still confused by the Client/Server/Sensor architecture of it. I currently have my Snort installation, along with Barnyard2, MySQL, BASE and Oinkmaster
 all on the same server (*I downloaded PulledPork because I heard good things, but still need to install it and replace Oinkmaster…). I have had Snort running now on this server for a few weeks and it seems to be going well, except for the frontend...

So since I have Snort all contained on a single server am I supposed to install Sguil Client, Server, and Sensor on that server as well? If I want to use it simply as a frontend to Snort, do
 I need all 3 of those? I couldn’t find any installation docs for Sguil for when Snort and it’s MySQL Database are on the same server. All the docs seemed to be for
“split” Snort installations, i.e. across multiple servers…

Could anyone explain to me those 3 different parts to Sguil? And whether or not I need all 3 of them installed?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

Snort-users list archive: