[Snort-users] snort - unified2 formart

Michael Mittentag michael.mittentag at ...11827...
Wed Jun 11 10:30:46 EDT 2014

I am running the latest version of snort

snort-2.9.6.1-1.x86_64

in /etc/snort/snort.conf

I added this and commented out the other lines:

output unified2: filename snort.u2, limit 128

if I try to start snort using the /etc/init.d/snortd script it runs it as:

/usr/sbin/snort -A fast -b -d -D -i eth0 -u snort -g snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf -l /var/log/snort

and I never see those snort u2 files instead I see:

/var/log/snort/snort.log.xxxxxxxxxxx

and barnyard2 seems to have an issue with reading those files.

If i manually run snort form (/usr/sbin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf)
without any options it then creates the right file type
/var/log/snort/snort.u2.xxxxxxxx

It is almost like it is not reading /etc/snort/snort.conf?

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Thanks