[Snort-users] Vbs rat threat rules

Kevin Ross kevross33 at ...14012...
Tue Jan 28 18:42:40 EST 2014

Hi,

That won't work in that port 1000 can't use HTTP keywords unless you add it
to your local $HTTP_PORTS variable in snort.conf. So your choice is either:

1) add port 1000 to the $HTTP_PORTS variable and change to this (I have
corrected the other rule options for your reference, mostly external_host,
no flow etc.
Alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"alert vbs rat";
flow:established,to_server; content:"some.website.net"; http_header;
fast_pattern:only; pcre:"/Host\x3A[^\r\n]*some\.website\.net/H";
classtype:trojan-activity; sid:123991; rev:1;)

2) Don't have it in your HTTP_PORTS and go like the rule below (although
personally I would have it being a destination port of any instead of 1000
which increases detection because I assume being a RAT they can change the
server listening port:
Alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 1000 (msg:"alert vbs rat";
flow:established,to_server; content:"some.website.net"; fast_pattern:only;
pcre:"/Host\x3A[^\r\n]*some\.website\.net/sm"; classtype:trojan-activity;
sid:123992; rev:1;)

Hope that helps you out on the idea behind this. Personally though if I was
you specific blacklist type things are not ideal for snort rules so I would
look at the structure of the command and control rather than where it is
going. If you are looking for sites I would recommend alongside snort
running passiveDNS https://github.com/gamelinux/passivedns which will
record your name/ip resolutions and then if you ever wonder if you have
been compromised you can query that and get a time for first and last
querying which can help out a lot - especially as databases of DNS traffic
can be retained for a long time.

I would also recommend you use BRO which very nicely complements Snort in
that you can log all that extra information like files, HTTP traffic, FTP,
IRC, SMTP etc. What you can then do is send it over to ELSA
http://code.google.com/p/enterprise-log-search-and-archive/. This is a
video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INRJZ3_Dsyc. You can also
extract files and do lots of other things with it (which you can do in the
latest Snort too). Still I think BRO & Snort work well and with ELSA it
allows you to query data quickly and form interesting queries to find
anomalous things.

Kind Regards,
Kevin Ross