[Snort-users] Running snort on virtual machine

SnortFan SnortFan at ...131...
Fri Jan 24 10:06:54 EST 2014

Windows hypervisor?  Here's my 2 cents. I would only use for testing. If you have something time sensitive or would have the potential of using most of the CPU or IO of a server I would not recommend making it a VM unless there is another reason for doing so.

With Windows Hypervisor expect a 50% loss in CPU/memory etc under a
Window hypervisor layer as opposed to bare metal. VMware ESXi. Expect a 10% loss.

Unless it's for a
DR I would not make any high use (CPU/IO) time sensitive server a VM.

Quick list of pros:
Cloning
Snapshots and roll backs
Disaster Recovery
Remote shutdown and restarts

Cons:
Overhead of hypervisor will effect timing and IO as oppose to bare metal.
It's too easy to add more servers and have resource conflicts that effect all servers on the hypervisor.
You could be adding another layer between your nic and the vm.

Sent from a mobile device.