[Snort-users] VRT Categories

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at ...589...
Thu Jan 23 16:03:16 EST 2014

There are still a few categories that are stragglers I think, and the shared object rules didn’t change categories yet.

On Jan 22, 2014, at 3:38 PM, Y M <snort at ...15979...<mailto:snort at ...16002....>> wrote:

As far as I know the transition is complete. But, as the nature of things go, changes maybe warranted. That said, you can compare the files of one of the old categories against a newer one (ex.: icmp.rules vs. protocol-icmp.rules) and see the difference. The below statement is quoted from the first blog post:

http://blog.snort.org/2012/03/rule-category-reorganization.html

"The good news is, if you are using the Sourcefire product, PulledPork, or Oinkmaster, the vast majority of you should be unaffected.  These products will handle the transition just fine.  The only way you will be affected using PulledPork (or Oinkmaster's related tools) is if you use enablesid.conf or disablesid.conf to enable or disable entire categories of rules."

YM

________________________________
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] VRT Categories
From: SnortFan at ...131...<mailto:SnortFan at ...131...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:30:22 -0500
To: snort at ...15979...<mailto:snort at ...15979...>; snort-users at ...2987...rge.net<mailto:snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

Hi YM,
     Hmm, so are the new rule categories on those three pages the whole list? Seems a little confusing. I'm using the older categories and they seem to be pulling down some rules. So are they still in transition to the new more protocol / file /policy based categories?

When I comment out the enablesid in my pulledpork.conf file I should get all the rules but I actually get less than if I use the enablesid.conf and use the old category list.

Thanks,
Ed

Sent from a mobile device.