[Snort-users] Snort appears to be successfully compiled, but I cannot run it.

Gee Zany krimpton11 at ...15979...
Sun Jan 19 09:26:28 EST 2014

I followed the steps in this PDF http://www.snort.org/assets/158/snortinstallguide293.pdf for my installation of Snort on my LinuxMint OS.
Had huge trouble with libdnet, but it finally got solved with "apt-get install libdumbnet-dev" . Could this be the cause ? Anyway, it allowed me to continue with the daq installation..
When I entered ' which snort' in terminal, nothing appeared.
But doing a 'locate snort' lists many directories in which snort can be found..
Examples are :
/usr/local/snort/usr/local/snort/bin/usr/local/snort/src....../usr/local/snort/include/snort/dynamic_output..../usr/local/snort/lib/pkgconfig...../usr/local/snort/src/snort_dynamicsrc/stream_api.h.....
I am really at a loss at what to do now. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.