[Snort-users] Rule for initial TCP SYN packet

Thomas Hyslip thomas.hyslip at ...11827...
Thu Jan 9 10:51:15 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to write a rule to catch the first TCP packet for new sessions
that have the SYN flag set.  But, I'm not seeing anything.  If I remove the
flag:S option i see everything, any suggestions? here is the rule I have
set now.  If I craft a packet with hping3, Snort alerts, but I thought this
would catch all new TCP connections to webpages.

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any 80 (msg:"egress filter tcp traffic to port
80 with syn flag set"; flow: stateless; flags:S; classtype:test;
sid:1000001; rev:1;)

BTW, this is not for production, just doing some research on a topic.

Thanks
tom