[Snort-users] Snort CPU consumptions

Balasubramaniam Natarajan bala150985 at ...11827...
Wed Jan 8 22:44:57 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Patrick Mullen <pmullen at ...1935...>wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This is a good question, and the answer may not be what you expect at
> first.
>
> The "problem" is that snort checks the port LAST*, so that rule would, in
> fact, be seen as a poor performer.  The reason we check the port last is
> because we found that with properly written rules, the port check would
> almost always succeed.  Early versions of snort checked ports first and it
> was actually slower overall this way.

Wow superb this is the answer I was looking for :-),  If you have it at the
top of your head as to which version onward the port check was pushed to
LAST please key it in ?

> It's worth noting that your example rule would be a poor performer
> regardless of the pcre used because it doesn't have a content match, which
> means it would enter on EVERY packet, especially since you also didn't
> include a "flow" option.  All rules should have a good content match that
> will help snort know if it should bother evaluating any of the rule options
> and a flow option to further reduce the number of packets it evaluates.

The rule specified in my email trail is not the one I use in production.  I
created it as an example just to ensure that it looks like a worst
performer [?]

--
Regards,
Balasubramaniam Natarajan