[Snort-users] I am a newbie

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Fri Jan 3 10:06:43 EST 2014

On 1/3/2014 5:36 AM, Fabien Delmotte wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am using snort 2.9.2.2

that's really old and is no longer supported...

http://blog.snort.org/2012/08/snort-2922-is-end-of-life.html

> I am trying to setup a rule for UDP flow
> # DOS-UDP Flooding Attack RULE
> #alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"UDP_Flood Attack!!!!!";
> threshold:type threshold, track by_src, count 3, seconds 20; sid:1000001; rev:1;)
>
> alert udp any any -> any any (msg:"UDP_Flood Attack!!!!!";sid:1000001;)

you should put a revision number on all your rules... increment any time the
rule gets a major update to its detection functionality...

> #alert icmp any any -> anyT any (msg:"ICMP testing"; sid:10000001;)
>
> I am sending UDP packet (I done a TCPDUMP)
>
> I also removed all the rule in the snort.conf file, I just let my rule :)
>
> Any comment ?

what is the problem? all you've written are statements about what you did but
nothing about what you expect to see or what you are seeing...