[Snort-users] Help with snort rule and notifications

Trever Leingod treverleingod at ...125...
Sat Feb 15 20:08:59 EST 2014

Thanks for the input, Ed. I have tried what you suggested.

I made a new rule based on the rules already present:

"alert tcp any any -> 173.254.252.81 173.254.252.81 (msg: " **Alert gtx0.com has been opened**")"

(IP used above is the one for www.gtx0.com)

I used command "snort -d" and opened up gtx0.com in a browser but no notifications or logs were given. Any further tips, anyone?

--Trever Leingod--

CC: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
From: SnortFan at ...131...
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Help with snort rule and notifications
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:02:14 -0500
To: treverleingod at ...125...

Here's a quick and dirty way. You can take another rule and copy it. Then you have to pick a Sid that's not in use.
Change the msg content to the URL.
If you create a new rules file, you will have to include it in your snort.conf.
If you using something like barnyard2 there's more to do.
Cheers,Ed

Sent from a mobile device.