[Snort-users] Protected content

Alex Tatistcheff alext at ...492...
Tue Dec 16 01:13:26 EST 2014

Ok I tested the situation where my "content" keyword matches the FIRST
instance of the content in the packet however when the protected_content
keyword checks the entire string this does not match the hash.  The
question is will Snort look further in the packet for the NEXT content
match of the same word - "over" - in my example above?

Key behaviors to remember about Snort:
1. Process each of the detection keywords in order
2. All rule keywords are joined by logical AND (all keywords must be true
for the rule to trigger)
3.  Stop process on first "no match"

I discovered that the rule will fail to trigger if the
content/protected_content is found after the first instance in the packet.
I believe this has to do with the fact that for a rule to trigger every
keyword in the rule must evaluate to true.  For the first "over" in the
packet, the protected_content check of the entire string length returns
false.  As soon as Snort encounters a keyword that does not evaluate to
true it stops processing the packet.  This is pretty much how the content
keyword works too, it will find the first instance of the string (assuming
no offset or depth modifiers) and proceed from there.  Snort will not
process keywords in the rule repeatedly for a single packet.

So my "disadvantages" above still stand.  We could miss the
protected_content string if it came after we located the "content" at an
earlier location in the packet.

Thanks for bringing that up Russ!

Alex Tatistcheff
alext at ...492...
Not sent from my iPad - just thought you should know