[Snort-users] Rules updates broken?

elof at ...6680... elof at ...6680...
Thu Dec 11 05:58:07 EST 2014

I too have this annoying issue.

wget -v --debug 'https://www.snort.org/'
DEBUG output created by Wget 1.13.4 on linux-gnu.

URI encoding = `UTF-8'
--2014-12-10 11:49:27--  https://www.snort.org/
Resolving www.snort.org (www.snort.org)... 104.28.24.35, 104.28.25.35,
2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:1823, ...
Caching www.snort.org => 104.28.24.35 104.28.25.35
2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:1823 2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:1923
Connecting to www.snort.org (www.snort.org)|104.28.24.35|:443...
connected.
Created socket 4.
Releasing 0x0000000002278790 (new refcount 1).
GnuTLS: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
Closed fd 4
Unable to establish SSL connection.

If you use Debian Stable you get wget 1.13.4.
Googling the error message hints that you need wget >= 1.15.

Do anyone have a workaround? I don't want to compile the latest wget
manually, since this breaks the ability to easily keep everything
up to date with 'apt-get upgrade'.

/Elof