[Snort-users] Unknown ClassType: web-application-attack

Matt M. mr10001 at ...11827...
Fri Aug 29 18:29:43 EDT 2014

Hey Guys,

Been pounding the pig all day and still have a few kinks to work out.

I've installed snort and pulledpork via brew on OSX.  With this groups
help, I was able to get pulledpork functioning.  Now I'm getting the
following error when trying to run snort with this command...

sudo snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l /var/log/snort/

*ERROR:*

Initializing rule chains...

ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/app-detect.rules(33) Unknown ClassType:
web-application-attack

Fatal Error, Quitting..

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

I did comment out the following (because I was getting a different error
around black lists):

# Reputation preprocessor. For more information see README.reputation
preprocessor reputation: \
#   memcap 500, \
#   priority whitelist, \
#   nested_ip inner, \
#   whitelist $WHITE_LIST_PATH/white_list.rules, \
#   blacklist $BLACK_LIST_PATH/black_list.rules

Thanks for any thoughts,
--
M., CISSP, GCFE, GCFA

*“*To disagree leads to study, to study leads to understanding, to
understand is to appreciate, to appreciate is to love. So maybe I’ll end up
loving your theory.*”* -*John Wheeler*