[Snort-users] Tcp session hijacking

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at ...589...
Tue Aug 19 07:54:57 EDT 2014

Stream5 does not do mac address tracking.

On Aug 19, 2014, at 4:16 AM, Meysam Farazmand <farazmand.meisam at ...11827...<mailto:farazmand.meisam at ...11827...>> wrote:

Hi Waldo,

Thank you for reply.yes you're right. I am doing a project with snort and my project manager wants me to test snort session hijacking detection capability. If we assume that attacker does not use spoofed MAC address, similarity between session hijacking and mitm is that in both, MAC address of on side changes. So snort should detect this MAC address changing with stream5. Is it correct?

On Aug 17, 2014 9:27 PM, "waldo kitty" <wkitty42 at ...14940...<mailto:wkitty42 at ...14940...>> wrote:
On 8/17/2014 5:37 AM, Meysam Farazmand wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used "check_session_hijacking" in stream5 preprocessor for session hijacking
> attacks detection and launched a mitm attack. But snort did not detect it.

session hijacking and mitm are not the same...

session hijacking is where you take over or continue with someone's existing or
previous session...

mitm is where you are in the middle and have valid sessions with both parties
and pass their traffic across while doing what you want with it in the middle...