[Snort-users] no alert for darpa dataset

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Fri Aug 8 20:26:08 EDT 2014

On 8/8/2014 8:29 AM, mehdi maleki wrote:
> hi
> A lot of research has been done with snort and darpa dataset while the new
> default rule set doesn't produce any alert for darpa dataset. In this context I
> have some question of the vulnerability team of snort (especially Mr. elster)
> and all professionals :
>   1) Are all threats in the darpa not important today?

my first question is how old is that darpa pcap??

>   2) Will this action  to reduce the false alarms of today important  threats  ?
>   3) Will this action does not weaken the completeness of snort?
>   4) Finally, the rules  sent to us are original!?

what rules? the ones you downloaded for the version of snort you are running?
yes... what do you mean by ""original""? those that were active when the darpa
pcap was assembled? many things have evolved over the years... snort's detection
capabilities and rules are at the top of that list in this environment ;)