[Snort-users] Rule for detecting ssh

Arvid Van Essche arvid at ...16782...
Mon Apr 28 05:20:55 EDT 2014

Hi,

If you search the available snort signatures, you will find several SSH
related ones.
Sig ID: 19559 is by default disabled and is used for SSH BruteForce
detection.
I would suggest you get some inspiration from this one. I would recommend
to look into some rate limiting if you create a signature to match on every
SSH packet/SSH-SYN packet.

# alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"INDICATOR-SCAN SSH
brute force login attempt"; flow:to_server,established; content:"SSH-";
depth:4; detection_filter:track by_src, count 5, seconds 60;
metadata:service ssh; classtype:misc-activity; sid:19559; rev:5;)

Best regards,
Arvid Van Essche